News, discussion, feedback, and possibly cookies.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
GeneDNC

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:08 pm

Video card: Intel® HD Graphics, driver 8.15.10.2189 (previous driver 8.15.10.2104)
Demo version: Windows 0.1
I have played Jisei and Kansei.

YAY
Expression change in CG.

Twinkly atmospheric music.

Only a few lines in and there's already sarcasm - love it.

Kangai snark in general.

I really like Aaron’s design.

Character "name" Real Football & Wars Star XD

Bedhead Gurski hooray \(^_^)/ His hair seems more bedhead than before, works great with the stubble.

Still loving the Aki-Gurski dynamic.

Wow that death-kansei is a zinger. Nice.

NAY -TECHNICAL
The movie has no visuals and starts skipping at 04.68 seconds, with both graphic drivers. The only way to stop the skipping is to close the game. There was only once or twice in quite a few times I played it that the song didn’t start skipping.

Another problem I have with those specific drivers is the rendering of the save/load slots. This is a Renpy 6.13 problem though and does the same with other games. A driver update should solve it, although unfortunately my machine has a manufacturer-altered driver and 8.15.10.2189 is the latest one I can use.

Once I Q.Save I can't access any "normal" saves, that I made previously, from the Save/Load screen even if I delete the Q.saves. If I open the game from the Renpy launcher and click Delete Persistent before opening the game, the Q.saves are gone and I can access the "normal" saves again on the Save/Load screen, though I can still Q.Load. The screenshot linked above shows the normal screen when clicking the Save button. NOTE, I tried to post some related screenshots, but as a new member can't post links yet.

Using my mouse wheel to scroll on the save/load screen doesn’t work. I checked and it doesn’t work in Kansei either, but does in Jisei.

NAY -GENERAL
Mmmm is every game going to start with Kangai waking up...? Might look into other narrative openings.

First scene music is too repetitive for the length of the scene and the transition is jumpy when the song starts over.

The change in textbox during character transitions is a bit distracting. I see it's the same for Kansei but it didn't bother me there, maybe because the added quick menu also disappears, making it more noticeable.

The “descriptive text mentions Shawn’s name before he was introduced “Aki mirrors Shawn's posture…”

Some evidence of the murder should be visible on the bell tower BG otherwise it breaks the suspension of disbelieve and is quite anti-climactic.

NAY -NITPICK
Aki's right wrist makes an unusually sharp bump when her hands are folded. It just looks a bit strange but I’m not an artist so take it with a pinch of salt.

I think an increase in the blink frequency would be good.

Aki’s expression transition at "Aki smiles, but doesn't respond." and then "So, are you ready to go?" going from a big smile (mentioned in text) to her neutral expression is a bit abrupt. Going from big smile to smaller smile/grin would be better.

Check consistency with names vs. nicknames. For example David gets called "David" in the description of events long before Nathan stops being "War Stars".

Kangai mentions that he “tripped over that dead body in the coffee shop” once when he’s on the phone with Marissa and once when Chance is on the scene. Is this supposed to be an expression though, because he didn’t literally trip over the body?

Li Mei appears with Aaron in the lab, but then doesn’t appear again until Aki comes back saying “did you miss us?” so it seems like Li Mei went out with Aki and Gurski.

There’s a gap in the music, from where Aki takes off running till after Li Mei says “It’s death.”

The music for the death-reliving scene sounds a tad on the upbeat side.

EXPLORATION
When viewing the map, will there be a way to return to the fountain/pond area, since in the demo the only option from the map is the bio building? It would be annoying if one accidentally clicked Explore and then had no way to get back to the previous screen.

SPELLING & GRAMMAR
No spelling errors that haven’t already been reported.

Comma’s that need to be removed:
-After “be” in “I guess if I have to be awake, Li Mei should be, too.”
-Before "here" in "Well, I guess there's no question who's in charge, here." and in “You’re on really thin ice, here.”
-Before “yet” in “My stomach threatens to abandon me entirely, and I’m suddenly glad that I didn’t eat my lunch, yet.”

Change “sounding” to “sounds” in “Aaron sounding even more frantic than before.” Alternatively join that sentence with the previous one using a comma.

Lose the "her" after "hear" in "Jupiter's dry utterance is juuuust loud enough for Chance to hear her..."

RANDON
'Girl' gets a headache every time someone lies?! She's going to need a lifetime supply of painkillers.

Aki and Enthusiastic Guy make a good Stepford Smiler team.

It's a little weird that some students can see security footage from their laptops.

There are a lot of blues and purples in the characters' outfits.

CHARACTERS
I'm obviously glad all the regulars are back and looking better than ever with the art update.

Of the new ones, I like Aaron and Jupiter is very interesting, I like her no nonsense attitude. Shawn is a little bland. I'd like to see more of David and Nathan when they aren't being quite so comic-relief-y.

WILD THEORIES
Dr. Johansen was Chance’s boyfriend. We know that she was seeing an older guy and explains why she was bringing him lunch in the bio building.

Am I the only one who thinks the person in the video could be Kangai’s sister? It would make sense that she looks like him, in the flashbacks they seem pretty close in age, and the video is grainy so it wouldn’t be impossible to mistake her for a guy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
asterisk0228

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Quote :
Am I the only one who thinks the person in the video could be Kangai’s sister? It would make sense that she looks like him, in the flashbacks they seem pretty close in age, and the video is grainy so it wouldn’t be impossible to mistake her for a guy.

I thought of that, too, but then she's a natural raven haired girl (at least I think she is)... but now that I think about it, she could have had her hair bleached! Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kinya

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:43 am

I just played Jisei before so I'm surprised when the protagonist is named Kangai o_O

I only know my OS, Windows 7, playing with windows 0.1

• There's something bugging me; when a character's expression changed, the sprite bluring for a second not only on one character, but every character. uh my english is not good ;_;
  • the blinking characters are cool! Very Happy
  • is shawn an important character? he has his own sprite :O
  • the BG images are too quiet
  • oot, I like nathan. he's young :>

well... that's all? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://airetta.tumblr.com/
sake-bento
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:46 am

Thanks for all the replies! I'm still having trouble fixing the video issue (sigh), but that's at the top of my list right now. The quicksave will be fixed in the next one, though! I'll be uploading an updated version sometime this week with some of the fixes you've suggested, so please stay tuned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sakevisual.com
Oniyuri

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:40 pm

Video Card: GeForce GTX 275
Demo Version: Windows 0.1
I have played both Jisei and Kansei before.

I haven't properly read the other posts, so I apologize if I repeat anything that has already been mentioned.

Typos:
  • Kangai talking to Aki in the apartment: "She said we should head down to University of Edgewater to go talk to him. Today." to "She said we should head down to the University of Edgewater to go talk to him. Today."
  • Naoki in the apartment: "We're enrolled in a program that allows high school students to experience college life for a night at University of Edgewater." to "We're enrolled in a program that allows high school students to experience college life for a night at the University of Edgewater." (And me being nitpicky: instead of "for a night", "for a day and night".)
  • Kangai's thoughts in the apartment: "Naoki was nice enough to add my meager collection clothes to the group laundry, but he hasn't gotten arount to my shirts yet." to "Naoki was nice enough to add my meager collection of clothes to the group laundry, but he hasn't gotten arount to my shirts yet."
  • Choice of wearing glasses or not (more of a suggestion): "I think I'll go without." to "I think I'll go without it."
  • After choosing not to wear glasses, Kangai says: "I think I'll go without". The sentence is missing a full stop.
  • Just after arriving on the campus: "Aki mirrors Shawn's posture and smile effortlessly." to "Aki mirros Shawn's posture and smiles effortlessly."
  • Still busy with introductions (on campus): "Our college guide turns to Li Mei and I to offer the same outpouring of unbridled energy." to "Our college guide turns to Li Mei and me to offer the same outpouring of unbridled energy." I was wondering about this so I looked it up, and basically, considering the context, if you can replace it with "us" then "X and me" should be used, whereas if you can replace it with "we" then "X and I" should be used. Another way to check this is by removing "Li Mei and" from the sentence and checking how it reads.
  • Shawn, during his introduction: "My name is Shawn Tasse, and I'm your student liason!" to "My name is Shawn Tasse, and I'm your student liaison!"
  • During Aaron's tour, outside: "Some if it is a rehash of Shawn's tour, but most of it is new information." to "Some of it is a rehash of Shawn's tour, but most of it is new information."
  • Aaron in the hallway: "What up?" to "What's up?" (I'm not sure whether that's just Aaron's way of talking).
  • Kangai's narrative after splitting from the group: "A door in front of me swings open and with all the skill and grace of trained athlete" to "A door in front of me swings open and with all the skill and grace of a trained athlete".
  • Just after Jupiter calls out to Nathan and David: "Two more doors fly open and a couple guys about the same age" to "Two more doors fly open and a couple of guys about the same age".
  • Jupiter's words, after choosing "Get your hands off of me!" when Jupiter, Nathan and David want to drag Kangai off to the lab: "And YOU had to right to break in here and steal our research!" to "And YOU had no right to break in here and steal our research!"
  • And shortly after that, Kangai: "Fine. Lead me wherever this lab is" to "Fine. Lead me to wherever this lab is".
  • In the "sleep studies" room: "Well, I guess there's no question who's in charge, here." I think the last comma should be removed.
  • In the "sleep studies" room: "She stares at me without remark." to "She stares at me without a remark." (I'm honestly not too sure about this one.)
  • In the lab, while Jupiter shows the camera footage: "At one point, he glaces briefly up at the camera and offers a small salute." to "At one point, he glances briefly up at the camera and offers a small salute."
  • In the lab, after David and Nathan tumble in: "Once they untangle from each other, they quick take up posts to either side of Jupiter." to "Once they untangle from each other, they quickly take up posts to either side of Jupiter."
  • In the lab, after Naoki leaves and Aki shows up, Kangai: "He seemed really bothered by it, so I told him to go to check it out." to "He seemed really bothered by it, so I told him to go check it out." (leave out the second "to", another one I'm not too sure about).
  • When Aki, Li Mei and Kangai run to the tower: "She slows her pace a bit, holding a spot between Aki and I." to "She slows her pace a bit, holding a spot between Aki and me."
  • In the clock tower: "At the far end of the room of the room lie the remains of a mangled corpse" to "At the far end of the room lie the remains of a mangled corpse" ("of the room" is repeated twice).

Other/Suggestions:
  • I had no problem playing the video.
  • After doing a quick load/save, I can't access the normal load/save menu anymore.
  • The part in the beginning where Marissa says: "Their research project was shut down after it killed twenty (check facts) of their test subjects." I just thought using "(check facts)" is a bit strange as Marissa is talking to Kangai on the phone and you can't actually see her actions. Wouldn't it be better to incorporate it within the conversation, e.g. "Their research project was shut down after it killed... let's see... twenty of their test subjects."
  • The part where Aki shows Kangai the email: "I glance over it quickly and read out the header." Wouldn't "subject" work better than "header"?
  • Just after arriving on campus, Shawn's name is used twice before he introduces himself to Kangai and Li Mei (one time in the sentence "Aki mirrors Shawn's posture and smile effortlessly." and the first time he speaks after that (about three "dialog screens" forward), his name is shown in the name placeholder-thingy (I have no idea what you call that).
  • Jupiter's name is used in the name placeholder-thingy where she says "David. Nathan. Take him in.", which is before she introduces herself.
  • In the "sleep studies" room, while Jupiter is interrogating Kangai. If you choose "It was in Mr. Auten's files. I went to his house for something.", and then a few "dialog screens" later "There's a soft rapping on the glass. Some sort of signal, I suppose." The first time I found the choice of words slightly confusing as there was no prior mention to the glass before this (and nothing is seen in the background image). Only after I went back and chose "I was just surprised to see that this guy looks like me. That's all." and the sentence "Jupiter sighs and glances briefly at the mirror set in the wall." follows shortly afterwards, was it placed in context.
  • Sometimes, depending on the background image, the scrollbar in the save/load menu isn't clearly visible. In the save/load menu part of the main menu, the scrollbar isn't visible at all unless you hover over it. (Please see the attachments.)
  • I think it is clear enough from the context, but I am just wondering whether players introduced to the series for the first time would benefit from a direct explanation of "kansei".
  • The latter part of the sentence (in the tower before Li Mei and Kangai go down the stairs) "She pauses to think carefully about her answer and sort out her emotions from ours." may be confusing to first-time players as there is no clear mention of Li Mei's kansei prior to this (only that she tries to sense something in the lab, and she senses death as they get close to the tower).
  • Concerning the exploration (and this comes from the previous games too), when moving and there are a lot of "move points" on the screen, it can initially be somewhat confusing as to where you will be going. This isn't much of a problem after cycling through the "move points", but it may be a nice touch if e.g. there was a label/heading when hovering over the arrow.
  • The character transitions seem noticably "slow" (that is, the text from the previous "dialog screen" disappears, the new characters/expressions are shown, and only then the new text is displayed).

I still love the art and Li Mei looks really cute! I am also impressed by the CGs thus far.

The sarcasm/humour is still top-notch d(^_^)

And I really liked the new twist on Kangai's kansei at the end of the demo. I am definitely looking forward to the rest of the story!

I hope the "War Stars" and "light sword" was on purpose (^_^) Just kidding.

Thank you - I can't wait for Yousei to be officially released!

Scrollbar not clearly visible:

Scrollbar not visible in main menu:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
aquarius1311

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:08 am

Video card: ATI Radeon HD 5450
Demo version: Windows 0.1
I have played both Jisei and Kansei before.

I'll try my best not to mention anything that the other posts have already covered when it comes to the bugs, typos etc. Which doesn't really leave that much for me to say, but whatever.

Typos:
  • When Kangai's talking to his sister in the flashback scene, she says, 'You think so..?' I think there should be one more full stop there.
  • This is not really a typo, so I'm afraid I'm being nitpicky, but I think University of Edgewater would sound better as Edgewater University; it's just less clunky that way.

The opening video and exploration and investigation system worked fine.

Other comments:
  • Great job on the character sprites and CGs. I like the blinking feature too. I laughed at the option to give Kangai glasses.
  • I like how the choices you've selected previously are darkened.
  • The music is good as usual.
  • I had the same problem as some other people - it's really difficult to see the scrollbar for the save/load menu. It's also hard to distinguish between the two; I kept on saving instead of loading several times.

Commentary:
The writing is as great as if not better than for the previous two games. It's really fun to read, and Kangai is especially amusing with his ever-present sarcasm. I'm also getting excited about how Kangai's past is slowly being revealed, and it feels like this game will have even more to contribute to what I think is the underlying storyline than the other games. Who's Kangai's lookalike? Who killed the doctor? What does the genetic research experiment have to do with Kangai? Why does Li Mei sleep in a closet? Oh yeah, that might be a continuity problem. Kangai says that he can see Li Mei's sleeping form under the blankets, but she shouldn't be there... Well anyway. Can Kangai actually enter and control corpses now? I'm confused by the end~ Can't wait 'til the full version comes out!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sake-bento
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:59 pm

Alright, the beta's been updated using the beta of Ren'py 6.14. I fixed some typos and changed the color scheme for the save screen, but for this round, I'm especially interested in compatibility and rendering.

For anyone who had trouble with the sprites or text taking too long to change, please try again. Also check to see if the video works. The video compatibility is a known issue with the Ren'py engine, so anything you have to share would help with the engine development.
Back to top Go down
Evarise

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:43 pm

Video card: Intel® HD Graphics 3000

... And yet again, the video doesn't play. D:
I tried playing the video file directly from the /game folder, and it worked just fine. I'm not sure if this is useful information at all, just thought I'd mention it. ^^'
Will see if it works properly in another computer later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sake-bento
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:49 pm

Hm, must still be an engine thing. Does the game ask you to update anything before you start playing?
Back to top Go down
Evarise

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:50 pm

Nothing at all. D:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kazuki-kun

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:29 am

Video Card: ATY RadeonX1600
(so, just as a note, it's all a little old, but works)
Demo Version: Mac 0.1 (because Universal 0.1b doesn't work for me)
I have played both Jisei and Kansei.

Tried the Universal version but I can't seem to even open it; I get a simple error message box and here's the Console log:
Spoiler:

As mentioned by other people, quicksaving seems to erase the normal saves
Sound and video for the opening video work just fine; crashed once but probably just because of my old computer (but is the background of cars and people meant to look that blurry?)

Typos/Errors:
Spoiler:

Nitpicky:

-> Nitpicking here but I'm confused about the morning scene; there's both an alarm clock and phone? It says the phone is vibrating and later ringing (because Marissa calls) and the ringing doesn't stop?
    -> No one ever asks about Li Mei, even though Aki says she can't pass as a high schooler.
    -> Aki's dialogue after you get a chance to pick the second option when you're alone with Jupiter in the lab comes a little suddenly; I'd suggest either putting a line to indicate she comes in suddenly or sticking the line after "Did you miss us?" before it. It just seems a little too sudden and too soon after Jupiter finishes. It works for the first option though. Just nitpicking.
    -> Chance seems to just disappear with no mention of her.
    -> Maybe a comment about Li Mei calling his name while he's starting to feel the corpse?
    -> As someone else noted, new players might be confused about the kansei, especially Li Mei's. I'd suggest just an extra line where Kan talks about her sorting through her emotions, maybe to clarify?

Comments/Feedback:
Music:

-> The pop music that plays when Kangai first wakes up is upbeat and great for the beginning; attracts attention.
    -> Doesn't seem to be any sound effects (little lacking in that department) but I would suggest something for Kan's alarm clock/phone. There should also be knocking when Kan knocks on the closet door. Maybe also footsteps leading away (like in the text) and running and such?
    -> The music that plays after Li Mei says "It's death" is dramatic (seriously got my heart beating) and suspenseful while managing to draw a lot of attention. It fits really well. (I'm a little curious as to how well the voices will mesh with it though...)
    -> There's an uncomfortable silence between tracks (probably what you intended) and it actually works pretty well; I'm wondering whether there's going to be a track like in Kansei with just noise? (when Kan feels the murder and the screen starts graying and heartbeats?)
    -> Like a couple other people have mentioned, background music started getting a little soft when you're walking around the campus.
    -> There's also no background music for the title screen (probably haven't added it in yet?).

Visuals:

-> HUGE change from Jisei; looks excellent, seriously. Deji's art really fits the genre now (lots of atmospheric style changes and detail now).
    -> The glasses deal gets a little confusing seeing as none of them are actually wearing them in the CGs, but I think the player choices are going in a good direction. (A few choices that don't affect the story much and more "larger" choices)
    -> Appreciating the amount of CGs and the CGs themselves; they look incredible. The angle and detail with the shadows/perspective really surprised me (in a positive way) in the CGs of Aki looking down at the body and Kan's face with a blood splatter.
    -> Very much appreciating the CGs in the first scene with Kan's sister, with just her eye focus changing.
    -> The sharp bump on the edge of the right side of Kan's face on his sprite kind of bothers me; seems a little too sharp, but that might be me nitpicking again.
    -> Facial expressions tend to be very expressive; it's smooth sailing XP Character designs are detailed and distinguished; awesome.
    And the examine button with Kan's sprite is reused from Kansei? (red shirt)
    -> The campus map is lacking detail, in my opinion (a few more trees and doorways etc. to make it look less simple/plain?)
    -> Backgrounds look a little "grainy" sometimes (I saw this in Kansei with all the building backgrounds) or the resolution doesn't seem as high. The green desk light in the room with the red couches looks a little bright and flat and the painting in the twins' apartment seems a little blurry especially. The one I do like would be the fountain area background because the reflection effect works well. Some of the areas in white seem a little plain; just noting.

Characters/Plot:
Spoiler:

Menus/Maps/Buttons:
-> I don't know if it's just me, but the arrows used to explore were sometimes a little confusing to follow; I thought the same thing in Kansei, but it's probably just me. And maybe a button to exit moving? And maybe an option to move back from the map screen?
-> As said before, scroll bar for load/save and text blacked out is a little hard to see.

Hoping this is helpful despite it being so long...

Last edited by Kazuki-kun on Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kazuki-kunthe-artist.deviantart.com/
RaineDazeDays

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:52 am

OS and Video Card are the same as before. (Windows Vista, Basic (32-bit), and Inspiron 1545 respectively.)
Demo Version: Universal 0.1b

Considering that the focus this time is on compatibility and rendering, I really skimmed through it. Even so, I do have a little bit--- or maybe quite a bit, depending on what is a little bit for you--- that I did find.

>As with the last time, no video still. ;~; But sound is there!
>Sprite transition still lags, but not as badly as before. Could just be me, though.
>Not sure if it's just part of the music and/or me going slightly out of it, but sometimes there'll be a little bit of "static-y noise" when skipping in the cases I used it. Doesn't happen too often, however.
>Exploration went smoothly. I went and noticed that in my last post I mentioned something about the map, but I didn't realize what it did pffft. /Facepalms, idiotic move on my part./

Back to top Go down
View user profile
asterisk0228

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:19 am

DirectX version: 10.0
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT

Did a quick run through. Here are some of the things I found so far:
  • The sprite animation and text animation are ok - no text lag. Very Happy
  • The video and audio snippet works well too. I noticed that when I played the former version, the video was a bit delayed (I thought that may have been intended...), but now, it starts at the same time with the sound.
  • I noticed that the Load and Preference screens from the Main Menu now have transparent (checkerboard) background. Was the initial black background removed or should I still be seeing a black background?
  • Quick Save or Quick Load doesn't erase normal Save states! Very Happy
  • I can now scroll back to previous events/slides while in Map View. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oniyuri

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:23 pm

Demo Version: Windows 0.1b

The character/expression transitions still lag noticeably for me. It may be slightly better, but I think it is just my imagination. The video is still playing fine for me. No other problems.

I like the change in the save/load menus.

The background music is also great, atmospheric and suspenseful when it needs to be.

I understand that you are not focusing on typos so much for this round, but there are a few things I'd like to mention:
  • I was wondering about this in the first version too, so I'm going to mention it. The phone call with Marissa, Kangai's narrative: "Government agents, according to Aki. Prisoners according to their handler, Detective Gurski." Shouldn't "Government agents" and "Prisoners" perhaps be in quotes?
  • Shawn's name is used in the nameholder before he is introduced, where he says, "You must be Haru. And...I hope I'm saying this right. Kizaki?"
  • If I recall, there are a few places that I'm still wondering about comma usage (or the lack thereof). It feels difficult to identify as a comma can be used to indicate a pause, and there is writer's freedom. An example that I remember (in the clock tower): "Li Mei sits beside me. She looks sad, and terrified and very, very, confused." Normally, I don't think you would use the last comma, but it does indicate an effective pause. Should I mention stuff like this?
  • "Aki mirrors the guide's posture and smile effortlessly." Sorry, I read that correctly this time as "Aki mirrors the guide's posture and smile effortlessly" vs "Aki mirrors the guide's posture. Aki smiles effortlessly." (the latter being how I read it the first time). So, please just ignore that comment.

I read through some of the previous posts, and was also wondering how Chance knew Kangai's name (I can't remember whether this might come from Kansei). Otherwise, if it is something that is revealed later in the game, then there's no problem.

On that note, it really goes to show how hazy my memory can be. After playing Yousei's demo, I had the urge to replay Jisei and Kansei (I'm currently busy with the latter). And I've really forgotten quite a lot of detail. I call it a self-defence mechanism (who cares if that doesn't make sense). That way when I replay or rewatch something, I enjoy it all over again (;^_^)

Anyway, after playing Jisei and Kansei again, I just want to mention that there is an amazing improvement in the character art. Especially when compared to Jisei, and Jisei's art was by no means bad. So all I can say is: Wow!

Also, in my previous post, I wrote about the exploration and how it was the same as in the previous two games. When in reality Yousei's exploration mirrors only Kansei's (Jisei's was presented differently). Sorry for that mistake!

I never mentioned my thoughts regarding the characters, story, etc. even though you asked. So here it is.

About the new characters' personalities... David seems more like a jock type and Nathan the nerdy type. They don't seem like the sharpest pencils in the box, which seems somewhat strange for people with a biology major (hopefully that wasn't a wrong assumption on my part). Although it does make for more interesting characters (and may make them more suspicious).

I like Jupiter's character - she seems strong and assertive.

Hmm, what to say about Aaron. An amusing guy? Although, I'm glad I don't know someone like him in real life - I don't think I could afford the bill for that camera.

I don't have any opinion on Shawn, other than he appears to be an energetic, helpful and outgoing guy. Once he makes more of an appearance I'll form a stronger opinion about him. At this stage he almost seems the most suspicious.

Although Chance has a finger in the pie - somewhere - I don't think she is the murderer. Other than that, I won't speculate (aloud) on the murderer at this stage (^_^)

The whole "disguise using glasses"-thing was hilarious. It was especially funny to have the choice to include Kangai.

I also feel like that person in the video may be Kangai's sister (even though she is supposed to be dead). On the other hand it may be a completely different person that has a kansei that allows him/her to pull off that type of deception. I guess a normal explanation would be that someone tampered with the footage. There are a few other possibilities, but they currently seem less likely.

Based on previous games, I'm more curious about Kangai's sister and her apparent death, Kangai's own past, and Chance's involvement with the case. Based on Yousei, I want to know why Li Mei was sleeping in the closet?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sake-bento
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Many thanks, guys! I'm passing along engine notes as you write them.

For anyone wondering if they should nitpick things like clarity or commas, please do. There are some points where I agree that the readability needs to be changed, and I appreciate your notes. If the sentence flows the way I want it to, I'm comfortable enough to leave it.
Back to top Go down
Kazuki-kun

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:22 pm

Sorry to be a bother, but anything about a fix so I can play the Universal version?
I had to make do with the Mac 0.1 version because the Universal one crashes every time I try to open it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kazuki-kunthe-artist.deviantart.com/
Jason Todd

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:17 pm

Video card:Intel (R)Hd graphics
Demo version: Universal 0.1b
I played Jisei and Kansei before.

The video still doesn't play and the audio starts off fine but the game freezes a few seconds after the audio starts, I had to close and reopen the game to get it to work again. Also the skip options keeps stopping at random text box were there aren't choice to be made. Still like the art but the bell kinda looks a little weaker than the rest of the art in the game. Other than those minor gripes everything is still pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
L-squared

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:25 am

Video Card: Intel 4 Express Chipset
I've played Jisei and Kansei.

- Opening video won’t run. Audio plays for a few seconds and then begins skipping. It causes game to hang and the only way to fix it is by closing the program.
- Preferences menu looks much better! The lighter background is a lot easier to read from than 0.1.
- Is there a way to stay at the same location when trying to move around? Not a huge issue, but for someone like me who clicks before they think, it’d be nice to cancel your action rather than moving elsewhere and back.
- The Done Exploring button has Kangai glasses-less, regardless of your choice earlier in the game
- I like the poses of the twins in the main menu, but I count 12 fingers between the two of them.
- The bell in the murder scene is very... clean looking? It was a bit distracting, given the visuals described in the text. The bell also looks too high above the opening for someone to be crushed between there. I like the music used in that scene.

Typos/Grammar:
- “I tap the photo on the table with my hand.” I think ‘finger’, or another similarly specific word would work better – the wording makes me imagine Kangai patting down the photo with his entire hand
- “Then you’re with me, now.” Extra comma?
- “Aaron returns to his tour, unphased by my outburst.” Unphased -> Unfazed

Characters:
- Kangai is as snarky as ever. As always, I love love love the interactions between the central characters.
- I like seeing diversity in the cast! Very nice, especially fitting for a university campus.
- Great character design. The sprites do a great job of conveying little personality quirks through appearance alone.
- Shawn: Very plucky, but also very suspicious. He knows the campus like the back of his hand, and could easily withhold information should he need to. He also knows how to work the bell tower, and was absent from the biology building at the time of the murder, which makes him my #1 suspect so far (despite not having a motive yet).
- Aaron: He’s funny. I like him. Doesn’t seem very considerate, though. The ‘photographic reflex’ thing could be a major plot point, so I'm keeping an eye on him. I’m curious though, is he a grad student? The scene in the main lab makes it seem like he is, but it’s a bit odd that Kangai and co. would shack up with him rather than an undergrad.
Nitpicking:

- Jupiter: I love a no-nonsense woman with a witty streak. I reaaaally want to know the history between her and Chance. Could get some really important information on Chance and her boyfriend from her.
- David and Nathan: Not much to say about either of them yet, but they look like good friends and play off each other quite well. I’m looking forward to more scenes with the lab members.

Story:
- That cliffhanger! FFFUUUUUUUU-.
- Aww, first Auten and now Dr. Johansen. ;_; It’s odd – despite the fact that they haven’t made any proper appearances yet, I’m super interested in all of the scientists behind the experiment. Here’s hoping Schulz doesn’t make it 0-3 in the next round of death vs scientist.
- The thief: I’m putting my money on Liam right now, much for the same reasons that have been mentioned earlier. His sprite from Kansei matches the description of the thief: looks like Kangai, dirty blonde hair (dyed, judging by the state of those roots), and he could have very easily cut it short after the theft and prior to the events of Kansei.
- I like how with each installment, the setting expands more. First a coffee shop, then a large house, and now a university campus. Poor Gurski will probably be running after the gang all across Edgewater in the next game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Antos

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:55 pm

Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti
I changed my video card yesterday. I haven't fully figured out the right configuration for the driver yet, but I have played the new version of the game several times and it ran perfectly fine despite the warning message I got at the start.
No problems with the video, either.
And yay, no flickering! This is great. Smile

P.S.
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oniyuri

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:36 pm

Comma usage that I'm wondering about:
  • In the apartment, Kangai's narrative: "Actually, I'm not sure what to call them. Government agents, according to Aki. Prisoners according to their handler, Detective Gurski. Probably both." to "Prisoners, according to their handler, Detective Gurski."
  • In the apartment: "I sit up with a heavy sigh and stretch. I guess if I have to be awake, Li Mei should be, too." to "I guess if I have to be awake, Li Mei should be too."
  • Li Mei's room: "I rap on the closet door three times, quietly." to "I rap on the closet door three times. Quietly." (A suggestion.)
  • Li Mei's room: "Again, I knock on the door, this time putting more force into it." to "Again, I knock on the door. This time putting more force into it." or "I knock on the door again. This time putting more force into it." (Me being nitpicky.)
  • Apartment, Aki: "Plenty of things. Tornado chasing, spelunking, and juggling knives, to name a few." to "Plenty of things. Tornado chasing, spelunking, and juggling knives to name a few."
  • Apartment, Kangai: "Sure. Just please let me sleep in the car." to "Sure. Just, please let me sleep in the car." (A suggestion.)
  • Campus, Shawn: "Biology lab in that direction. Since you're all listed as potential bio majors, you'll get a tour there, later." to "Biology lab in that direction. Since you're all listed as potential bio majors, you'll get a tour there later."
  • Aaron in the lab hallway: "'Kay 'kay. Then you're with me, now. Let's get going!" to "'Kay 'kay. Then you're with me now. Let's get going!"
  • Kangai in lab hallway: 'So far, I don't see any signs labeled "This way to secret evil genetic experiments."' to 'So far, I don't see any signs labeled, "This way to secret evil genetic experiments."'
  • Kangai in lab hallway: 'One of them is wearing a shirt that says "Real Football."' to 'One of them is wearing a shirt that says, "Real Football."'
  • Lab, Kangai's narrative: "I kind of expected a huge jumble of beakers and test tubes filled with mysterious boiling liquids, but everything's a lot more ordered than that." to "I kind of expected a huge jumble of beakers and test tubes filled with mysterious, boiling liquids, but everything's a lot more ordered than that."
  • Tower: "I see faces, now. People I don't recognize. Voices I don't know." to "I see faces now. People I don't recognize. Voices I don't know."

Other:
  • Inside the dorm: "Okay, Kizaki and Kangai will in room 103 in the first hallway." to "Okay, Kizaki and Kangai will in Room 103 in the first hallway." I think room should be captilized since it is followed by the room number (similar to Building 10A, etc.).
  • Inside the dorm: "I slide my keycard into the card reader mounted on room 103's door." to "I slide my keycard into the card reader mounted on Room 103's door."
  • "Sleep studies" room: "Jupiter doesn't respond. I can' read her expressions at all." to "Jupiter doesn't respond. I can' read her expression at all." (Singular form - another one I've been wondering about.)
  • Lab, Aki: "You could say yes." to 'You could say "Yes."'

I don't know whether I'm just getting used to the character/expression transitions, but it does seem as if some of them are better. There are a handful that our noticeably delayed, though. So, I don't know whether some have different timings, or if I'm just concentrating on the text more and thus notice the delay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bittersweet

PostSubject: Operating System: Mac OS X Version 10.6.8   Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:57 pm

I'm playing Yousei 0.1b.
Here are some thoughts:
- The video snippet worked fine!
- "Wake up Li Mei"... Should this be "Wake Li Mei up"? ^^;
- "Is it really okay to just...walk in?" I think there should be a space after the third period, and the "W" should be capitalized.
- A bit after that, the twins asked me if I'd want to wear glasses. I wonder why...?
- The sentence "Time for science!" makes me all excited for science. Yay, science! |D
- At this point I'm starting to regret choosing to wear glasses.
- The way you described death made me uncomfortable. It's like I was really seeing and experiencing the matter at hand. Good job!
- And right after that, the "fingers stained with blood" scene is hitting me. It feels so surreal, if that's the word for it.
- After that, Kangai's kansei kicks in, and from then on it's just brilliant personal narrating.
- During the exploration part, the "Done exploring" button has the previous version of kangai's sprite in it. Is this intentional?

Most of my thoughts are just thoughts. XD;
This is also my first time beta testing, so please forgive me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fuuyumi

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:33 pm

Video Card: Radeon Graphics
Chip: Intel Core i3-2330M

Thoughts

- Li Mei sleeps in the wardrobe? Must have been her way of trying to get away from feeling other people's feelings
- Woa, I love Kangai's forced smile
- I love his half smirk even more! "Does human kind even have a purpose" he said
- Gursky in police officer's uniform is hot~
- So it means that even just by touching the blood of the deceased, Kangai can see their moments of death? Well, that's both convenient and not convenient. But wow, that means that he wasn't dead when Naoki found the body, but he... fainted? And that Aaron guy didn't notice it? Nobody noticed? Strange, eh?

Comments
- Opening movie works
- Between the "Aki pauses for a moment and glances down the hallway" and the next sentence "Do me a favor?" there's a glitch for a few seconds
- The screen changes, especially when there's a change of scenery, the screen freeze for a few seconds
- A glitch on the Kangai's "I sort of... lost them. But hey if you let me go, i can go look for them."

- Glitch: Detective Gursky taps the screen a few more times...
- The part when they are running to the clock tower an Li Mei shakes her head and puts her hands down, there's a gliitch
-
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Veniae

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:58 am

Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330
I've only played Jisei.

Some general impressions:
- The story seems really interesting, I was completely immersed in it as soon as I opened the demo.
- The narration flows well, and - aside from some things I'll point out later - the writing is wonderful. It's just as descriptive as it has to be, the dialogue is natural and all of the characters are interesting and so far appear fleshed-out.
- The music is nice, but neutral enough not to distract from the story. I absolutely loved the second track during the prologue - it's so delightfully haunting.
- Even though I haven't played Kansei, it was easy enough for me to understand what's going on. I liked that Kangai's recollections of what happened prior to this game are just enough to refresh the player's memory without being jarring.
- All of the characters are amazing! I love how you can easily distinguish between them, as in, everyone is so unique and quirky. Li Mei's way of speaking is a nice touch, it really sets her apart from everyone else. And Kangai is a great narrator, his sarcastic remarks brighten up the otherwise serious story.
- Chance's appearance was all too fortunate to be a coincidence, it makes me wonder why she helped Kan. There's obviously an ulterior motive behind her actions.
- Aaron gave me a weird vibe. There is something... in his eyes... that makes me suspicious of him. Very Happy
- Jupiter (funny name, by the way) leaves the impression of an honest, determined girl. She is apparently stubborn and a leader type.
- Her sidekicks seemed to be mostly comic relief characters, and Kangai's nicknames for them made me crack up.
- Last but not least, the art is absolutely amazing. Seriously, it's so beautiful it's mind-blowing!

Bugs:
- The opening video was acting up. First time I watched it, it had both audio and video, but the video was laggy. So I scrolled back to replay it, but then the video disappeared completely, leaving me with a black screen and the music. After that, I reloaded the demo and the video seemed to be working fine, although it was still not really smooth.
- The music in the video doesn't sound as clear as the background tracks. The voice is a bit unclear.
- The exploration part seems to be working okay.

Nitpicks:
- "And Lilly said she came back before curfew (...)" - she would come (if she said it before she went out) or she had come (if she was speaking after coming home after curfew)
- "I can stay here with you if you like." - I think it would sound better to say, "if you'd like."
- "I force open an eye" - should be, "I force an eye open"
- There needs to be an empty space after you use an ellipsis ( e.g. "Let's see...last week [...]" - in this instance, 'last' should be capitalised)
- "It clicks shut with another squael of protest" - I think that should be paraphrased, you already used 'shut' in the previous sentence. (... Yes, I'm terribly nit-picky. Very Happy)
- "[...] crowded around the computer." - would probably be "in front of the computer" - there's only two of them, not enough to become a crowd
- "[...] since when are you high-schoolers"
- "questions about an age-old research"
- No need to tell us that the twins grimace when we have their sprites to show it
- ", opting instead [...]" should be ", instead opting [...]"
- "in case of a flood"
- "throws his arms wide open"
- "I didn't eat any lunch yet" should be "I haven't had lunch yet."

Additionally, I think I noticed a couple of words that don't really work in their context, but I might be wrong, feel free to disregard:
- "trek" implies that the walking is hard/slow
- "painstatingly" means "carefully, diligently"; in this context, you should maybe use "[...] steps we ascended with such difficulty."

Other:
- Sarcasm really is a reflex! xD
- I couldn't resist taking the glasses, Kan looks so cool with them!
- The transition from the Enthusiastic Guy waist-up sprite to the knees-up ones is great, really smooth.
- Ahahahah, Kangai's forced smile is adorable.

Okay, I think that's it. I hope this review was at least a bit helpful. I really enjoyed playing, and I look forward to more updates! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Oniyuri

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:15 am

Video Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4350

I have access to a Linux laptop for a little while, so I tested the beta demo on it.

I don't know whether it is important, but I had to change the permissions on yousei-0.1b-all/lib/linux-x86_64/python and youseibeta.sh before I could run the shell script.

The character/pose/expression transitions lagged visibly and most of the animations (e.g. blinking) was slow. Maybe that had more to do with the laptop specs?

The video played without any problems.

The menu that displays "Notes", "Menu" and "Save" next to the dialog is visible (and accessible) in the Quick Load menu. I only noticed it when I was testing on the laptop, so I went back to check the Windows version, and it was there too.

There were no other issues.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeneDNC

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:27 am

Played the new demo.

Video card: Intel® HD Graphics, driver 8.15.10.2189 (previous driver 8.15.10.2104)

The video gives me the same problem as before: no video and the music plays for a few seconds before starting to skip. Then the program becomes unresponsive.

Sprite transitions have a small lag but I usually don't notice because I'm focussing on the text.

The preferences and load screen selected directly from the main menu have no background.

The line (Aki) “I don’t know if we can get her to pass as a high schooler like us” was edited to read “students like us”, but the Kangai line after that remains “And since when were you high schoolers?” I'm not sure the jump from students to high schoolers would be intuitive since the word "students" is often used for those going to university. But that's just me.

I tested the game on my brother's computer too and the video worked 100%. His system details are:
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, driver 8.17.12.8562
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)   

Back to top Go down

Yousei Beta Feedback (Latest Update: 07/26/2012)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next